Well, it's now been a whole year since my last post on this blog, and a lot has happened since then, including a change of employer, and starting to play in a big band. However attempting to kick-start this blog back to life by writing a diary of everything that has happened this year isn't really very interesting to anyone so instead I'm going to try and start documenting the progress of the project I intend to be working on in my free time over the summer.
Back when Google Web Toolkit (GWT) was first released in 2006 I was still working for
Opera Software and thought it would be an interesting side-project to see if
it was possible to create a W3C Widget using GWT.
A couple of months ago, after
holding a presentation about Widgets on mobile phones the question of
whether it would be possible to develop Widgets with GWT came up and I decided
to finally create the proof of concept.
As many of my friends and family know, it was a little under a year ago that my interest in playing music got a little boost. As a result of this, I played a lot over the summer and made a lot of new friends through sommerspill. This lead to me starting to play in Oslo Postorkester where the last few months has been dedicated to preparing for the Norwegian national championships for wind band on the 19th - 20th. Over the next couple of weeks there are a couple of opportunities for friends in Oslo to come and hear what I get up to in my spare time. Read on for details.
A couple of weeks ago I finally spent the time to set up my cygwin environment at work to just the way I want it. As part of the process I threw together two bash scripts to help me when interacting with Glassfish server/OpenESB, making short aliases for common commands and providing some helpful colourisation. I thought I would share them in case they prove useful to anyone else.
A while ago a colleague asked me if I knew of a HTTP proxy tool that would cache and then replay the first response it got, in order to develop a client for a webservice without hammering the service with requests during testing (or doing a lot of work to mock it out). I mentioned Fiddler but that's Windows only. In the end I realised it probably wouldn't take more than 20 lines of python to achieve the desired effect. 10 minutes later I had the following script, just throwing it out there in case its useful to someone else.
Last night was the first time I've visited Herr Nilsen, a Jazz club in Oslo with Melanie Scholtz Band and Ole Jørn Myklebust being the artists for the night.
When an email came around at work asking if there was anyone interested in the four guaranteed places we were entitled to as a part of sponsoring the latest Geek Cruise, I jumped at the chance expecting to be turned down with the places already taken. To my surprise it wasn't that difficult at all, and I was one of two who represented Bouvet at Geek Cruise. Read on for a summary of my experience.
In the previous post in this series I introduced two of the tools I use to manage the development and deployment environments for this blog. Today I will share with you my Fabric deployment script and give a quick overview of what each action does.
At Europython 2008 I gave a presentation of how we were using Capistrano for deploying the Pylons based widgets.opera.com site. When rewriting this blog in Django I decided to look again at more pythonic alternatives. This is the first part of a two part blog post, in this part you will learn the tools I use to create a sane, reproducible deployment. The second part will tie the tools together with version control to perform one click deployment.
Most developers will probably agree that the shower is a magical place. During a morning shower you're (usually) alone, refreshed after a good nights sleep and don't have the noise of a whole day's thoughs going on in your head. Strange ideas can come along during this part of the day and here is a brain dump of one an idea I recently had, using the Reddit engine to prioritise a Scrum backlog.
When I moved to Norway one of my favourite chocolates that I couldn't find here was the Terry's Chocolate Orange. Every Christmas at least one present from my family is a product from the Chocolate Orange range. In the build up to the easter holiday over here a very similar looking product started to appear in a few stores. I had to investigate...
This week a fellow colleague posed the question of whether to return null or throw an exception when looking up an entity from a repository by id. This blog post describes in more detail why I generally prefer to throw an exception.
VivoBrass, the brass band I play in, are now correctly registered so that you can support us via Norsk Tipping's Grasrotandelen programme. Read on for details.
After deploying the first version of this website to Dreamhost I couldn't help feeling that the site was feeling very slow. This was to be expected as I have read many horror stories about the performance and support of Dreamhost but I wanted to investigate a little closer to give them the benefit of the doubt. This blog post documents the process I went through and the improvements I made along the way.
Saturday was of course Valentine's day and Lise and I decided to go out for dinner at Raymonds mat og vinhus which is a place we had wanted to visit for a while. It turns out that, while far from romantic, this particular evening had me laughing on the journey home and we plan to return sometime.